Main Page

- History of Galva, Illinois -

Education | Schools
    Religion |  Churches

Businesses | Downtown

Galva in Photos

Galva, Illinois

Galva Elementary School
This main section of this building was built in 1932 as Galva High School.  It was built for a cost of approximately $250,000.  The taller section to the left in the picture is the original '32 portion of the builing.  The shorter section, to the right in the picture above, was added in 1952, as the junior high portion of the building.  At the time it was built it took the place of the "North School", built in 1895.  The "North School" then became an elementary school later to be renamed "F.U. White Elementary School" for Fred White, the man who was superintendent of the Galva Schools for approximately 40 years. 

This building maintained it's status as Galva's high school until the 1968 school year when the new high school, north of the site of this building was completed.  At that time this building became Galva Middle School and remained as such until the 1991 school year when it became Galva Elementary School due to the closing of "F.U. White Elementary School" for financial reasons.

Galva Junior - Senior High School
The current Galva High School is located on North Center Avenue.  It was built in 1967 and opened for classes in the early part of 1968. It was built for slightly less than $1 million.  This building is located at the North end of the football field and track which it shares with the elementary school.  This building served grades 9-12 from 1968 till 1991 at which time the junior high grades   ( 7th and 8th) were transferred to this building.  In 1994-95 an addition with two classrooms and two restrooms was added. 

LINKS:   E-mail Site Owner        City of Galva Website       Village of Bishop Hill